FAQ - Incoming students

Where can I find out about UNIL course options and timetables?

In the list of the subjects that we teach in our faculty, select the one you wish to study and choose the specific timetable listing the course options that correspond to your academic year. At UNIL:

First year = BA, propédeutique (2013 ->)

Second and third year = BA, 2ème partie (2013 ->)

Post-graduate fourth and fifth years = MA, (2015 ->)

You can also click on the link «Recherche de cours», which you’ll find at the top right of this webpage. A web page will come up that allows you to search for classes in each department (look under: «Unités organisatrices») given by a specific Course Leader, or relating to a specific key-word.

If you wish to take classes in French as a foreign language, the EFLE website gives information about the different classes available to exchange students.

How do I sign up for classes?

You need to enrol online here. You must do this within the first four weeks of the semester. After this period the enrolment webpage will no longer be active.

Please note: you have to enrol online for your classes every semester. For example, even if you’re following a course that runs throughout the year, you must re-enrol in order to follow the second semester of your course.

Our MyUNIL webpage allows you to check your academic record whenever you like; and to verify the courses in which you are currently enrolled. If you have any problems with MyUnil, or if you notice any errors in your academic record, please contact our exchange advisor.

As an exchange student, you don't need to sign up for assessments (neither for validations nor for exams).

In addition to signing up online, you’ll need to inform the course leader of each class you take that you are an «exchange student». This is very important, since you may need to take specific tests to get an attestation for your studies, and/or to be awarded a grade. So, at the start of each semester, please make sure you clarify how your studies will be assessed.

How do I get credits and a grade for each class that I enrol in (lectures, seminars, practicals)?

Firstly, it’s vital that you have formally enrolled in all the classes you intend to take. If the class is not listed in your online academic record, we cannot award you a grade, or credit.

Secondly, grades and credits are attributed at the end of the semester, assuming you have fulfilled all the course requirements; these will be made clear at the start of the semester. If your course requirements are not given to you, or if they seem unclear, please make sure you speak with your Course Leader at the start of the semester explaining that you are an «exchange student», and that you therefore need to define your coursework and exam requirements.

By fulfilling all the requirements that you define with your Course Leader, you will receive a grade. If you achieve a pass mark of 4, or higher, you will be awarded credit for the class (6 is the highest grade).

Once each semester’s exam results are published, you can check your results (grades and credits) by consulting your academic record at the MyUNIL portal. Please check the main faculty website to find out the date upon which the exam results will be published. If your grade is not what you expected, please contact our mobility advisor immediately. At the end of your time at UNIL, your results will be sent to your home university. Please see the section, «How will my studies at UNIL be documented?» to understand the content of the academic transcript you’ll receive upon leaving UNIL.

How many credits will I receive?

Exchange students are awarded the amount of credits indicated on the study plan of the field for the corresponding assessment (évaluation). You have to check this in the study plan of the discipline. They are available at the following pages for Bachelor and Master. For the classes given by the School of French as a foreign language, please see the information given about the «Plan libre ELFE».

To be absolutely certain of the number of credits you’ll receive during your time at UNIL, we recommend that you fill out a learning agreement and send it to the mobility advisor. This will allow us to check which classes you have enrolled for, and thus we can confirm the number of credits you will receive upon passing your courses. In return, you’ll receive signed document from the Faculty of Arts Mobility coordinator confirming your choices.

How will my studies at UNIL be documented?

At the end of your studies at UNIL an academic transcript listing the names of all the courses you have enrolled on, together with the grade you have achieved for each course, and the number of credits you have been awarded will be drawn up. Any course that you have attended, but for which you received a grade less that a pass (4) will also be listed; however, you won’t be awarded credit in this instance.

If you have followed a class, but have not fulfilled the course requirements defined by the Course Leader, the class in question will not be listed on your academic transcript. Examples of not fulfilling course requirements include: not giving a class presentation, not handing in a required essay, or missing a test.

Your academic transcript should be sent to the International Relations Office of your home university within a month of exam results becoming available.

It is impossible for us to send this document directly to you. Please, contact your home university to know when, and how, you can obtain your academic transcript. It is possible to download and print a document called a procès-verbal d’examen from MyUNIL; this is not an official transcript, but it still lists the course you have followed, together with the grades and credits you have obtained.

If I have problems, whom can I speak to?

The Social Affairs and Student Mobility Service (SASME) manages your dossier. You need to contact them if you have questions about enrolment, your student card (called a Campus Card), your username and password (which is the same for MyUNIL and our webmail).

The SASME can also help if you need to look for accommodation, or if you are having problems obtaining a visa, paying the taxe de séjour, dealing with the contrôle des habitants etc.

The exchange advisor within the Faculties of Arts is also available to answer questions regarding your academic curriculum, for example: how to enrol for classes and how to fill out a learning agreement form. The mobility advisor can also advise you on which courses to choose, and the criteria for obtaining credits and grades at UNIL. Additionally, the mobility advisor can give you general advice, and guide you towards the right member of staff to answer a specific question.


Suivez nous:          


Léona Giddey

Conseillère mobilité
Bâtiment Anthropole
Bureau 2048
CH-1015 Lausanne

T +41 21 692 29 17

Heures de réception

Responsables mobilité des sections