Studies leading to the Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Biology degree give the broadest possible view of different areas of biology as well as the various levels of organisation of living beings, from the molecule to ecosystems.
Many courses include practical work that is increasingly integrated with research laboratories as studies progress. A range of optional classes and modules allows students to tailor their course and explore the subject in more detail.
A Bachelor’s course of this kind provides a broad, solid foundation in biology, leading to a wide range of Master’s options examining specialist areas in life sciences.
Faculty of Biology and Medicine: School of Biology
Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Biology
French (certain third-year courses are taught in English).
30 April. If you require a visa to study in Switzerland: 28 February.
At UNIL, the following Master's programmes are open without further conditions to holders of the Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Biology:
Career prospects depend partly on the choice of Master’s course.
Areas of activity
- Any area of activity that requires an integrated view of the living world
- Teaching: upper or lower secondary, administration
- Academic research and federal research centres
- Culture: museums and libraries
- Public services and environmental protection organisations
- Pharmaceutical and biomedical industry
- Biotechnology firms
- Health: hospitals, medical laboratories, administration
- Design and engineering offices and/or consultancies (ecology, environment, patents)
- Communication or scientific journalism
The Association des laboratoires médicaux (Association of medical laboratories – FAMH) offers an interdisciplinary postgraduate training course in medical biological diagnosis lasting a minimum of four years for the specialist disciplines of haematology, clinical chemistry, clinical immunology and medical microbiology. Admission is via an entrance examination.
Every two years, the Swiss Federal Statistical Office (OFS) conducts a survey on graduate employment, one year after students have completed their course. View the results for Biology graduates online:
- “Premier emploi après les études” (“First job after graduating”) survey on employment among Swiss university graduates
- De l’UNIL à la vie active (From UNIL to working life) – results of the survey for UNIL graduates specifically