While you consider whether a transition beyond academia is right for you, and once you’ve made the decision to make the change, you’re not alone!
Female PhD holders at UNIL can apply to be part of the PROWD programme at the Equal Opportunities Office, with tracks for the academic or non-academic career.
The ALUMNIL network also provides support for anyone with a UNIL degree. The alumni Office service TandemPRO is a free coaching programme that helps members share their experience by offering UNIL graduates and PhDs the opportunity to meet with a "TandemPRO Coach". A service that gives the opportunity to make contacts, develop your network, identify opportunities and get advice on your career.
There are a wide variety of online resources you can consult in order to consider and prepare for the transition:
- The Beyond the Professoriate blog provides an array of career development support and advice. Listen to their podcast!
- Academics.com offers advice and job opportunities (academic and beyond) for Germany, Austria and Switzerland
- PostGradual, the PhD careers blog.
Figure out where your strengths and interests lie:
- My Individual Development Plan, for PhDs in the natural and life sciences.
- ImaginePhD for PhDs in the social sciences and humanities.
- Mydocpro for any disciplinary background, with levels of attainment
Learn from the experience of others:
- Portraits of UNIL PhDs
- PhDs working in different industries and talking about what they do.
- And more PhD Career Stories here!
- PhilSkills: for philosophers
- Beyond Academe : for historians
- Connected Academics : for language and literature specialists
- The Vitae survey on the real life experience of postdocs across Europe
Engage on social media: #postac #altac #phdchat #withaphd